Monday, June 29, 2009

SubjectsPlus

My manager, who is not a librarian, pointed out SubjectsPlus and some of its implementations to me. All of them were academic libraries with lots of resources. We are a corporate information center with very few resources, although SubjectsPlus could possibly work for us. My manager's apparent fascination with it intrigued me and emphasized the differences in our points of view. While I don't disagree with him in this instance, the memory of my academic experience came crashing back. There we tried like crazy to make information display simpler. Here we are referring to providing more information in various ways. We are working hard to prove value; making display simple and easy is still important but nevertheless secondary. What an interesting contrast.

No comments: